Monday, October 7, 2013

Social Media

There are many social media websites today, but many have there favorite website like me. Which website am I on and which do I prefer the most? Well I will tell you that I spend most of my time watching videos on YouTube, or most importantly checking blogger.com and twitter for updates on what I need for class the upcoming class period. Sometimes I log in to Facebook just to see what people are on and to look at pictures. Changing topic, virtual worlds are basically created on the computer someone who is always connected to some sort of website or dedicates much of their time  on  the computer almost creating a virtual self. This virtual world can be used by as described in the article, Going to the virtual office in second life, We had a whole range of environments from auditoriums and collaboration pods to social areas where the avatar can pick up a beer around a log fire, walk around, sculpture, talk, etc." this is one great example of having a virtual world, where one cannot do it in real life but is able to do it virtually.However there are many people that look for ways of using these social media websites as educational tools as one professor does as described in the article, Professor encourages students to pass notes during class-via Twitter, " Once students warmed to the idea that their professors actually wanted them to chat during class, students begin floating ideas or posting links to related material." In other cases the professor would see a good idea posted, so the professor would literally stop class in order to discuss the idea. For this, I think that websites have a big impact on us, whether we just use a limited amount or large amount of websites these will always be there to help us and to create a somewhat virtual world for us.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly find that social media is more suited towards recreation and enjoyment rather than using it in an educational system such as classes. When I go on the internet, I want to goof around in my free time. I don't want to go to Twitter to check on class updates, I go on Twitter to see what my people are up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that websites have a big impact on us and as for the comment above I agree that social media is guided towards recreation, but as new technology keeps emerging it is starting to be geared for educational purposes as well.

    ReplyDelete